TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

How can one get rid of a second SS# which is inactive and

Customer Question

How can one get rid of a second SS# ***** is inactive and never filed.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

Hello

The Social Security Administration issues SSNs and would need to address the situation for you.

It is not usual for a person to have 2 SSNs. The most common circumstances include when evidence clearly indicates the number holder’s SSN has been misused, that he/she is disadvantaged by that particular misuse, and the misuse affects his/her credit record. When SSA issues an individual more than one SSN, the Agency must cross-refer the SSNs to properly credit the individual's earnings to his/her earnings record and prevent payment of duplicate claims.

When SSA assigns an SSN to an individual, the Agency creates a master record of relevant information about the number holder in its Numident file. This information includes, but is not limited to, the number holder’s name, date of birth, place of birth, gender, parents’ names, and citizenship status.

Contact your local SSA office.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/ic001.do

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Please advise if you need more information