Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter has cerebral palsy- she just qualified deceased

Customer Question

My daughter has cerebral palsy- she just qualified for her deceased fathers survival social security benefits. I was just wondering if I can just split the monthly bills in half and use the social security money for her part? And how much bookkeeping do I have to do? I often buy her things at the same time as myself and I would just write one check or debit from my account. It seems like it could get complicated. I don't want to get audited and have problems.....
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My daughter has cerebral palsy- she just qualified for her deceased fathers survival social security benefits. I was just wondering if I can just split the monthly bills in half and use the social security money for her part?

Response 1: You can, but see this website on how to properly account for the funds:

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqrep.htm#&a0=9

And how much bookkeeping do I have to do? I often buy her things at the same time as myself and I would just write one check or debit from my account. It seems like it could get complicated. I don't want to get audited and have problems.....

Response 2: See the website below for what you need to do to avoid problems:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10076.pdf