LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Social Security is my only income. I can't pay my credit

Customer Question

Social Security is my only income. I can't pay my credit card debt. If I get court judgements against me can they get to or attach my social security benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Richard,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: I can't pay my credit card debt. If I get court judgements against me can they get to or attach my social security benefits? Absolutely not. They will never be able to garnish your social security benefits.

Your social security benefits can only be garnished for very specific, limited reasons, including arrears of child or spousal support, student loans and federal taxes.

Your credit card company would not be allowed to touch your social security benefits either before you receive them, or after they are deposited to your bank---so long as you only allow social security funds to be placed into your account that receives the direct deposit from social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug