Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Someone may have tampered with my computer through a virus,

Customer Question

Someone may have tampered with my computer through a virus, I had some social security numbers on it. What can I do to protect those numbers?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

From the office of inspector general of the Social Security administration: http://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/2012/06/identity-theft-what-do-i-do-now

" When your Social Security number is ***** it is natural to think the Social Security Administration will be a one-stop shop to resolve any and all identity, credit, and tax issues. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy.

SSA can only correct SSN-reporting problems on their own records. You should regularly review the details of your Social Security Statement to make sure it is correct—and now you can do that online here. It’s easy to sign up, and you can review your lifetime earnings according to Social Security’s records. If your records don’t match SSA’s—or if you think someone else has used your SSN to work—the Agency can work with you to resolve that.

SSA also has a lot of information available online related to identity theft. For example, you can read about SSA’s policy on issuing a different SSN here, and you can find out how to block electronic access to your Social Security records here. You can even download and print the form to request an earnings record correction, here."

See link fro SSA info: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10064.pdf

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.