How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 28882
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 90 years old. I own a house and I am a widower. My

Customer Question

I am 90 years old. I own a house and I am a widower. My present Social Security is $2,033.00 per month. Can I apply for an increase in benefits per month?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!
Your social security benefits are based on your prior earning record.
What you might want - to verify if calculations are correct - and if you find any despondency - you might be entitled for re-calculations.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings. They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most. And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age. So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration.

Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Contacting Social Security Visit anytime to apply for benefits, open a my Social Security account, find publications, and get answers to frequently asked questions. Or, call us toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****). We can answer case-specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call after Tuesday