ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My name is ***** *****. My question is about divorced

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, my name is ***** *****. My question is about divorced spousal benefits. I was hoping to get divorced spousal benefit now and hold off on getting my regular social security until 70. I fit all the categories such as length of marriage etc. When I called social security they said I could not as my ex made less and if I applied it would start my regular ss benefits this December when I turn 66. Hope this question makes sense. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't know what to say.. I was reading about benefits for divorced spouses and I was trying to apply for them so I could hold off on my regular social security benefits until 70. And since his benefits are less I am told I cannot. I want to confirm this is true. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok, thank you. I will get my credit card.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 11 months ago.

Good morning.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 11 months ago.

I'll offer you a call.

You can collect spousal benefit now but they will brand you with a % penalty. That % penalty will ALWAYS be held against you n(even when you collect at age 70.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  ShawnA replied 11 months ago.

No worries. Please rate or if you want the call that's no issue.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 11 months ago.

How can I help you?