Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm 65 turning 66 on April 25, 2016. when should I apply to

Customer Question

I'm 65 turning 66 on April 25, 2016. when should I apply to get the benefits at 66 instead of 65?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. If you take before you are of full retirement age (FRA), which for you will be 66, you will not get your full benefit, but a small rduction for taking extra months' worth early. But, you can apply 3 months before the month you want to start taking, but specify you don't want to collect UNTIL 66 (April). So, you can apply later this month, but specify that you don't wish for benefits till you are 66 in April.

Note too that if you can hold off (if still working?) til 70, your benefit will be 32% bigger then if you took at 66 - if a bigger benefit later is a need or want of yours.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional