Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am receiving Social Security benefits presently. If I

Customer Question

I am receiving Social Security benefits presently. If I marry a woman who is also receiving Social Security benefits, will her benefits change after we are married?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

No, the credits you get for deferring your social security past retirement age are not subject to the spousal share of social security. Also, your spouse cannot take the spousal share if you are not currently receiving your social security benefit. So he cannot take his benefit until you take your social security anyway.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

No it will not change. You will gain the ability to share each other's Social Security benefits. Even if you've never worked a day in your life, you can collect a portion of your gainfully employed spouse's benefits. If you wait until both of you are full retirement age -- 66 for most people -- you get 50 percent. If you take benefits before your full retirement age, you'll get less, depending on how soon you take them. So to answer your question, no your benefits will not change unless you want to take the 50% spousal share if it is more.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Any chance for a positive rating?