TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

, Will my benefit transfer to my wife upon my death?

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Will my benefit transfer to my wife upon my death ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: What is a bit?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

Hello

The monthly amount she would get is a percentage of your basic Social Security benefit. It depends on her age and the type of benefit she would be eligible to receive.

If you were receiving reduced benefits, they base her survivor's benefit on that amount.

The maximum survivors benefit amount is limited to what you would receive if you were still alive.

Widow at full retirement age or older would get 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount.