TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

My husband is 55 & eligible retirement at s job.

Customer Question

My husband is 55 & eligible for full retirement at his job. However, his name on his checks and soc.sec stmts and military records have read different than on his birth certificate. But his social security number is ***** on all documents. Will this be a problem at full retirement age or How does he correct this problem before he reaches full retirement age.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Your husband would need to check with SSA and make certain that his name and number match what they have on file.

As the Number is ***** that will be helpful. The fact that his name is ***** ***** on his SSA statements is perplexing because SSA generally uses the name on the birth certificate unless the name changed and a correction was applied (generally in marriage).

Encourage him to contact the SSA office in your city.