SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

What are the requirements son (15) to receive s social

Customer Question

What are the requirements for my son (15) to receive his social security card for the first time?
He has a current U.S. passport, as well as his old passport from age 8, and his U.S. birth certificate. I was told since he is over age 12 they would "interview" him.
Is there anything else required for him to apply and receive his card?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 11 months ago.

He will have to apply in person. I'm not really sure if that would be considered an interview. SEE BELOW:

Original Social Security Card

To apply for an original card, you must provide at least two documents to prove age, identity, and U.S.

citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status. If you are not a U.S. citizen and do not

have DHS work authorization, you must prove that you have a valid non-work reason for requesting a

card. Acceptable documents are as follows;

Evidence of Age

In general, you must provide your birth certificate. In some situations, we may accept another document that

shows your age. Some of the other documents we may accept are:

U.S. hospital record of your birth (created at the time of birth)

Religious record established before age five showing your age or date of birth

Passport

Final Adoption Decree (the adoption decree must show that the birth information was taken from the original

birth certificate)

Evidence of Identity

You must provide current, unexpired evidence of identity in your legal name. Your legal name will be shown on

the Social Security card. Generally, we prefer to see documents issued in the U.S. Documents you submit to

establish identity must show your legal name AND provide biographical information (your date of birth, age, or

parents' names) and/or physical information (photograph, or physical description - height, eye and hair color,

etc.). If you send a photo identity document but do not appear in person, the document must show your

biographical information (e.g., your date of birth, age, or parents' names). Generally, documents without an

expiration date should have been issued within the past two years for adults and within the past four years for

children.

As proof of your identity, you must provide a:

U.S. driver's license; or

U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or

U.S. passport

NOTE: If you are age 12 or older and have never received a Social Security number, you must apply in

person.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.