LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a US citizen with residence in Montana. I have been

Customer Question

I am a US citizen with residence in Montana. I have been visiting Canada for the last 2 years. I currently have a 1 year Canada visitor permit. I will always maintain my Montana residence and pay property taxes an MT and Federal income taxes (I am 82 and retired).
I am applying for residence in Canada. If residence in Canada is granted, and if I accept it, what, if any, will be the consequences and/or requirements regarding my Social Security and Medicare benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Relocating to Canada will have absolutely no impact on your continuing receipt of your social security retirement benefit.

However, Medicare ONLY provides coverage in the US and its territories. Any medical care or medicines that you obtain in Canada will not be covered by Medicare. You will still have Medicare, however to make use of it you would have to travel back to the US for treatment or to purchase your medications.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug