Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
13714381

I am years 10 months old and will continue to work employer.

Customer Question

I am 69 years 10 months old and will continue to work for same employer.
In the online applications for benefits I see question: Select start date
I have options (six months before today up to my 70 years on February 22 2016).
I understand that after 70th birthday there is no advantage to start.
What should I select start date of social security benefits? From 2015 June, July so on or on March 2015.
Eugene.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** using Just Answer.

For each month before age 70 that you start benefits, your benefits are reduced by 2/3% of the base amount from the 132%. Whether you should claim early depends on how long you expect to live, and whether you need the money now. Assuming you were born in March 1946, your benefits, as a percentage of the base benefits, if started in:

June 2015 (probably impossible, because it would take a while to process) 125 1/3% of base benefits.

July 2015: 126%

...

October 2015: 128%

...

January 2016: 130%

...

April 2016: 132%

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a comment. "My 70 years on February 22 2016" means I was born not in March but in February:-).
I do not need money now, I just assumed that if I continue work my benefits will be recalculated next year. Is it correct assumption?
From your numbers I understood that that if no recalculations allowed 86.5 years is a point where person can start get advantage in payments.
Eugene.

I'm sorry about misunderstanding you, and not making myself clear.

Your base benefit is recalculated each year based on the best 35 years of income; the percentage (increase, in your case) is fixed when you elect to take the benefits.