LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If I apply Social Security card that was stolen can I pick

Customer Question

If I apply for replacement Social Security card that was stolen can I pick it up at the office or will it have to be mailed
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can apply for a replacement social security card at the local social security office, it is not manufactured there, but at a main facility and mailed from that facility to your present mailing address.

If you are extremely concerned about your risk of identity theft, then you might consider taking a one year subscription to one of the credit watchdog companies that will immediately notify you if someone else uses your identity to try to take a loan or get credit from somewhere. The cost is about $100 per year for the watchdog service.

Here is a link from which you can get the application to order your replacement card:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Alternatively, you may go into your local social security office and fill out the same form. Either way, you will get your new card on average 7 to 10 days after you submit the application for the replacement card.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug