LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If I apply Social Security card that was stolen can I pick

Customer Question

If I apply for replacement Social Security card that was stolen can I pick it up at the office or will it have to be mailed
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can apply for a replacement social security card at the local social security office, it is not manufactured there, but at a main facility and mailed from that facility to your present mailing address.

If you are extremely concerned about your risk of identity theft, then you might consider taking a one year subscription to one of the credit watchdog companies that will immediately notify you if someone else uses your identity to try to take a loan or get credit from somewhere. The cost is about $100 per year for the watchdog service.

Here is a link from which you can get the application to order your replacement card:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Alternatively, you may go into your local social security office and fill out the same form. Either way, you will get your new card on average 7 to 10 days after you submit the application for the replacement card.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug