Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 66 not yet taking benefits. my wife is 71 and has lower

Customer Question

i am 66 not yet taking benefits. my wife is 71 and has lower benefits that she started at age 64. Can she suspend hers and start taking my higher benefits?
If i keep working until 70 will my benfits keep rising?
thanks, Ron ********
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Good morning Ron,

With regard to your post:

"i am 66 not yet taking benefits. my wife is 71 and has lower benefits that she started at age 64. Can she suspend hers and start taking my higher benefits? ----- She can't "take" your benefits, but she can take a spousal benefit based on your work record. It will be something less than 50% of your primary insurance amount because she collected retirement early and that continues to effect her a bit.

"If i keep working until 70 will my benfits keep rising?" ------- Yes, you will earned delayed retirement credits, so that your benefit will be 32% higher than your PIA if you wait til 70 to collect.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – ifyou feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy toaddress follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forwardto assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sureto start future posts with "To Stephanie O. Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me tospecifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional