keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My Purse was stolen along with my Social Security Card and

Customer Question

My Purse was stolen along with my Social Security Card and Driver's License among other things that were stolen. What do I do now as I am 67 years old and am receiving SSI payments. My Name: Barbara my SS# *********. Thank you for any assistance.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

Well, the only thing you can do is to request duplicates. You will need to contact your local Registry of Motor Vehicles or Bureau depending upon where you are located and request a duplicate driver's license. You may be able to make this request online at their website.

As far as your Social Security Card is concerned, here is a link to the instructions to obtain a replacement Social Security Card. You will need to either mail or take a written application (available to download) for a replacement card to the Social Security Administration together with the required documentation (see the link) in order to obtain a replacement card. Here's the link:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

You will note that the Social Security Administration recommends that you NOT carry your card with you, but rather keep it in a safe place. The card is not supposed to be used for identification, so all you would need is the number to have available, not the actual card. Actually, you may have your number on your Medicare Health Insurance Card which you do need to have with you for your doctor appointments.

Just checking in to see if you have been able to get your replacement cards ordered or if I can be of any further assistance. If so, please let me know.

If not, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,