Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I HAVE A STEPCHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 18. I MAY BE DIVORCING

Customer Question

I HAVE A STEPCHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 18. I MAY BE DIVORCING HER NATURAL PARENT. I HAVE SUPPORTED THIS CHILD ALL OF HER 12 YEARS OF LIFE AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT HER UNTIL SHE TURNS 18. I INTEND TO APPLY FOR SS BENEFITS THIS YEAR. IF I APODT THE CHILD AND CONTINUE TO SUPPORT HER, WILL SHE BE ELIGIBLE FOR SS PAYMENTS UNTIL SHE IS 18 EVEN IF I DIVORCE HER NATURAL MOTHER?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

She can typically get benefits off your record while your step child, and yes, if you adopt her, she can still collect as your now adopted child - so all should continue til she is 18 or 19 (depending on when she graduates highschool).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!