LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My friend, Roza Khaziran Roepel, is a US citizen and

Customer Question

My friend, Roza Khaziran Roepel, is a US citizen and originally from Iran. She has worked in the US for many years. She is now 68 years old. At 62 she began to draw her SS. The amount she collects is not a lot.
Roza's parents also came to the US and lived here until their deaths.
Prior to coming to the US from Iran, her father was employed by an oil company in Iran. He died 3 years ago and his wife died a year later. After his death his widow was the beneficiary of his pension. In Iran there is an accomodation where a daughter who is divorced can become the beneficiary of the father's pension following the death of his widow.
Roza had to travel to Iran to go through the application process. She is there now but has discovered that the oil company will not pay her any of it if she is getting payment of any kind from Social Security. She said that it would be worth her while to discontinue the payment from Soc Security and so wants to know how she can go about that without having to return to the US to process it. The oil company needs a letter from Social Security indicating that she is not getting any payment.
I would appreciate your reply to this question.
Thank you,
Mary Gallagher
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Mary,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

All your friend will need to do is contact social security and ask that they Suspend her benefits and they will do so. They can provide a new Benefit Award Letter showing that she will be receiving no benefits in the future.

Because Iran and the US do not have consulates in each other's countries, she will have to travel to or contact a US embassy in another neighboring country, or return to the US to process the suspension of her benefits. That is because for the Middle East, only US embassies process social security business. The US based social security administration does not handle requests from people in foreign countries. Here is a link to US embassies in the Middle East: http://www.us-consulate.net/category/middle-east

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug