Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I SSI benefits. I have an x husband that I was married to

Customer Question

I SSI benefits. I have an x husband that I was married to for over ten years and had 2 children with him. They are now adults. I want to draw benefits from his account also. How do i go about that? I also want to go back to my birth name and drop my married name. How do i do that?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from mercer University’s Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations.

...

You can do this online with Social Security ... just a moment and I'll get you the information

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Here's the site

...

Apply Online For Divorced Spouse's Benefits

...

And here's the checklist of items you may want to have pulled together for this

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/hlp/isba/10/isba-checklist.pdf

...

Note that on the right side there are two different columns (the far right is for spousal benefits, which is what this is)

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

ON the name change ... See This:

...

How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

To get a corrected Social Security card, you will need to:

• Show the required documents. You will need proof of your identity. Sometimes you also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status. See Learn What Documents You Need for more information. Under the heading, “Type of Card,” select “Corrected for a list of the documents you need;
  • Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
  • Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.

For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.

For more information, read our pamphlet, Your Social Security Number and Card.