Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I received my statement showing my monthly gross as 2142.80.

Customer Question

I received my statement showing my monthly gross as 2142.80 for 2016. I an 78 years old.
my wife is 70, has a monthly gross of 823.80.
should she file for spousal benefits???
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you.

OK, with regard to your post:

"I received my statement showing my monthly gross as 2142.80 for 2016. I an 78 years old.
my wife is 70, has a monthly gross of 823.80." - OK.

should she file for spousal benefits??? ----- YES, if her 823.80 is based off of her OWN earnings, it COULD be that she may be eligible for over $1050 on your record. To get this full 50%, though, she had to have filed for SS retirement at her FULL retirement age (66), and not EARLY. If she filed 'early', then any benefit, her own or spousal, will always be less than the full amount. But, to determine exactly if there is even a few more bucks she should be collecting, I'd visit the local SSA and determine if she is getting her own or spousal (sometimes we dont' realize we were automatically given spousal) and if not spousal, would spousal be more.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!