Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 66, my husband is 62 and on disability. In March he

Customer Question

I am 66, my husband is 62 and on disability. In March he will be able to get medicare because he has been disabled for two years. My question is when he begins Medicare will he also not be on disability? Next question when he gets on Medicare will I be able to change my Medicare benefits to his, because his benefits will be more than mine?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you.

Hi again, ok, with regard to your post:

"I am 66, my husband is 62 and on disability. ------ OK.

"In March he will be able to get medicare because he has been disabled for two years. ------ Yes. If he has collected 24 months of benefits.

"My question is when he begins Medicare will he also not be on disability? ------- No, he will continue to be on SOcial Security Disability until he either recovers (no longer disabled) OR, he turns his full retirement age (FRA) - which is 66+.

"Next question when he gets on Medicare will I be able to change my Medicare benefits to his, ------- No. Medicare benefits are all the same - it is the RIGHT to sign up. You already have that right for Medicare insurance, since you were 65, when you presumably signed up for Medicare A & B, possibly D.

because his benefits will be more than mine? " --------- No, there is no connection there. Medicare eligibility is all you get at 65, and he after 24 months worth of SSDIB payments. You both pay the same for basic Medicare. Typically Part A is free and Part B, is normally (this year) 104.90/mo. Any supplements you buy will potentially add to that, as will a Drug Plan.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – ifyou feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy toaddress follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forwardto assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sureto start future posts with "To Stephanie O. Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me tospecifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!