CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
50756543

Am I able to file Security today, but not get Social

Customer Question

Am I able to file for Social Security today, but not get Social Security benefits until March 15, when I will turn 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can do that. You should go to the Social Security Administration web site www.ssa.gov and open a mySocial Security account there. Then you will be able to apply and select your benefit start date. Please remember that you will not receive your benefit payment in March for March. The March benefit will be received in May.

Also, your benefit should be paid on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. They use a calendar cycle to pay benefits. Finally, paper checks are no longer issued. You will be given a choice of direct deposit to your bank account or to a debit card.