Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have a brother who is mentally disabled. I am the rep

Customer Question

I have a brother who is mentally disabled. I am the rep payee and I have just received a letter / form SSA-455-OCR-SM "Disability Update Report". Can I complete this form on his behalf or does he have to fill this out himself? (He is not competent enough to understand the questions on the form)
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

You can absolutely fill this out for him. This is OFTEN the way it is when a person has a Representative Payee - a mental illness that renders him incapable of many things, including the timely and accurate provision of information, filling out forms accurately, etc.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!