Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am collecting a widows benefit, I will turn 70 in august.

Customer Question

I am collecting a widows benefit, I will turn 70 in august. I plan to switch to my own SS at that time. If I remarry prior to 70th Birthday, will I loose the exisiting SS benefit during that time.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

In May of 2016, you can no longer push off taking your own social security retirement income so you will begin taking the higher of your benefit or your spouses benefit (1/2 as you know). If you remarry after age 60, you can still receive survivors benefits based on your former spouse’s record. However, if your new spouse is also collecting Social Security benefits and you would receive a higher amount based on the new spouse’s work record, you will receive the higher amount. So this will not effect you and you will not lose your SS widow's benefit during that time.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have nay further questions?