Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am engaged to be married in the state of Maine me and my

Customer Question

I am engaged to be married in the state of Maine me and my boyfriend is disable how will that hurt our checks that we receive from the government
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you get Social Security disability or retirement benefits and you marry, your benefit will stay most likely stay the same.

SSDI benefits are earned by paying into the Social Security system via payroll deductions. In order to be eligible for SSDI benefits, you must have accrued enough “work credits” to be covered.

(1) Your own work record. If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits under your own work record (meaning you are the disabled worker,) then getting married will not affect your benefit payments. This is the case no matter whether your future spouse works, receives disability benefits, or has no income.

(2) in some cases, the spouse, ex-spouse, widow, or adult child of a Social Security disability recipient qualifies to receive a benefit payment under the disabled worker’s record. These Social Security beneficiaries can sometimes lose their benefits by getting married, depending on your relationship to the person on whose record you collect Social Security benefits.

(3) parent's work record. If you are an adult disabled child receiving benefits under your parent's work record, getting married will cause your SSDI benefits to stop. In some circumstances, however, a disabled adult child may be able to marry another disabled adult child without either person losing benefits.

(4) Ex-spouse's work record. If you are receiving Social Security benefits under your ex-spouse’s work record, getting married will cause your benefit payments to stop.

(5) deceased ex-spouse's work record. If you are a divorced spouse receiving benefits on your deceased ex-spouse's work record, you'll lose these benefits if you get remarried before age 60 (or before age 50 if you are disabled).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Any chance for a positive rating?