Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I start drawing my social in Jul 2015 and I was over ready

Customer Question

I start drawing my social in Jul 2015 and I was over ready at the limited that say I could make. I down size to that amount the next 5 month. but i am over the amount. What do I do.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

If you are under full retirement age, and still working, the best option may have been to NOT file at all for retirement, since you weren't really retired. However, what is done is done. What I would likely do in this situation is continue to work to support myself, notify the SSA, and let the SSA take back from my monthly early retirement benefits the amount needed to pay back the money I improperly received. It is much easier to pay back this debt when you are still working, then when you are no longer working and trying to live on the SS check - using the future SS check to pay the debt when that is all one has, is painful. That said, what you may also want to consider doing is suspending your benefits once you hit full retirement age (66+) and live on your work earnings then also, until age 70. That will case your benefit to increase by 32% so you may be able to bring it back up to the full amount, not having it reduced due to taking it early. It may make it a nicer amount to live on later once you are not able to work (if), one day.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!