Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I retired at 62 this year using my own social security

Customer Question

Customer: I retired at 62 this year using my own social security benefit. My husband has been retired for several years. Am I able to claim my full benefit as well as a partial benefit from my husband's benefit? My benefit is higher than his. Thanks!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 1) I was just told that some people are able to receive both their own SS benefit from their work-life, and also a partial payment from their spouse's. I am wondering if that is true. 2) Also, am told this 'double' benefit is ending end of 2015-is this true?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Is your site secure? $18 for both questions?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Sorry for the delay, but the requested professional is not online

You can only receive one benefit -- whichever is the greatest benefit for you. In this case, you would not get a partial benefit off your husband and your own benefit.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.