Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I would like to know if I can draw ss benefits from my wife

Customer Question

I would like to know if I can draw ss benefits from my wife that passed away in 2001. I'am 63 years old and we were married for 29 years and still working.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

OK, if your wife was a worker, yes, you could be eligible for a survivor dependent benefit on her record. However, because you are not yet of full retirement age (66+), and you are working, if you make more than $15720 (2015 earnings limit), any dependent benefits will have an owe back for that earned over the $15720. You will pay back $1 in benefits received for every $2 you earn. However, that said, this earnings test does not apply once you are FRA. So, once you are 66, you CAN file for and received a survivor benefit equal to 100% of your wife's benefit. By doing this, you can allow your own benefit to grow to age 70, making it 32% higher than if you collected it at 66.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!