Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

At age 62 can my wife draw her reduced benefit and then draw

Customer Question

At age 62 can my wife draw her reduced benefit and then draw 1/2 of my benefit when we are both full retirement age 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No unfortunately, if she draws her own at 62, it will be reduced. Later, when she is eligible for spousal (once you file), her spousal amount, if taken, will be reduced by the amount of reduction she took of her own benefit at 62. The spousal is paid by first paying her own (reduced) then the spousal "boost". The spousal boost is the different between her full benefit and 50% of your primary insurance amount. So she will get paid that "boost" on top of her own reduced amount. ON the other hand, if she doesn't collect early, but waits til her FRA, she can collect the full 50% of spousal amount (her full amount plus that spousal boost, getting her the full 50%).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!