Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband has passed away on Dec. 23, 1915, do I need a

Customer Question

My husband has passed away on Dec. 23, 1915, do I need a death certificate before I apply for the surviving wife social security? I have been getting half of his at present.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry for your lose.

Yes, you will want to get that death certificate and bring it along with your photo ID, birth certificate, marriage certificate to the local SSA office so you can apply. Unfortunately, we can not apply for this online. You also want to make sure they stop sending his benefits. The check he received in Dec is valid, since it applies to Nov. But the one you may get in Jan will not be owed to him, so don't spend it if arrives before SSA can process the termination of his retirement benefit.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional