Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am 67. I decided to have my payments delayed until several

Customer Question

I am 67. I decided to have my payments delayed until several months ago. I filled out all the necessary paper yet, but have not received any payments yet. How do I find out what is happening? (I am somewhat concerned with identify theft -- that someone else may be getting my payments.)
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The period from when you submit your application to when you learn if you’re approved or denied varies. It can take the SSA about six weeks to process your application and start your benefits. It might take longer if you supply incorrect information or the SSA needs more information. The number of applications sent to the SSA for retirement benefits could also contribute to a longer processing time.

Please see the following link to check your application status: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/IAPS/applicationStatus

At this point it is odd that you haven't heard anything so you should check on your application to see if there is a problem.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?