Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am trying to get a copy of my exhusbands death certificate

Customer Question

I am trying to get a copy of my exhusbands death certificate and I need something from Social Security stating this is needed in order to apply for survivor benefits. Are you able to provide me with something I can print out and supply the State of Minnesota with so they can move forward?
Thank you,
Marilyn Burke
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Marilyn,

Thank you for your question. Death records are public records, so you can go to or call the State of Minnesota department of vital records and they will assist you in getting the death certificate. If your ex husband has an estate you can also ask the executor of the estate to get you a copy of that.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.