Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I currently receive $ 1203.77 a month in child support two

Customer Question

I currently receive $ 1203.77 a month in child support for my two kids. and I make $ 160 a month cleaning. how much SSI will my child receive?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pay my own rent and utilities as well. Not sure how the formula works to figure out his benefit amount
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Which formula have you been using?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Deeming income...I just want an idea of what I should be getting

Yes, but can you link me to the deeming formula you have? We have a chart, typically, to estimate this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please estimate it

Can you link me please? Or are you saying you don't actually have one you are referring to? (You said, "Not sure how the formula works to figure out his benefit amount " - so I am asking you to link me to the page with the forumula on it you are indicating you are trying to use.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could you just please give me your estimate. The formula is on SSI website
Earned income...minus 20..then minus 65...then it divides it in half and that is subtracted from 733 and then that is your benefit amount....can you tell me what you come up with

One moment please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm

How many of your kids get SSI? (I.e. how many are disabled)?

Any kids NOT disabled? If so, how many?

You are asking about how much SSI your child will receive, so that means 1 or more are disabled as per SSA.But you are not, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just my son is disabled....I am not and my other daughter isn't either

Thank you. OK, assuming they equally share the child support, his share is about $600. Only 2/3 is counted, so only $400. Then, they don't count the first $20. So estimated he has $380 of his own income counted.

Your $160 is negligible. As you can see from the above chart, it would not even rise the the level of reducing his via deeming.

See here. (2014 numbers). But also see the chart at the bottom of your link. Thus, I see no deeming of your income to him.

Thus, it would seem at most that his SSI amount would be reduced by $380.

Note that while an adult having his shelter paid for by others would be "in kind" income to that adult, reducing his SSI by another $264, potentially, this does NOT apply to a child being supported by parents.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional