dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

What is the extra SS payout that must be applied April 2016

Customer Question

What is the extra SS payout that must be applied for by April 2016 and how is it applied for?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Please link me to the page of the SS website that indicates there is a payout one can apply for by 4/2016? I would be happy to evaluate it for you and explain it. I believe you may have mis-read it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stephanie - you need to reread my question - I did not say t hat I found such an item on the SS Website; I said that I had looked there. I did not see anything, but I have read that such a payout exists. I believe you may have mis-read it [my question]. Thus I do not have an answer from you.

OK, great! So you believe you read it but you have nothing to refer to, is that correct? ("I have read that such a payout exists.") I.e. the advisory letters and SS website you refer to reading is not where you read this, right? But you looked there to see if you could find what you think you read? I will go with that unless you tell me otherwise. I will also understand that you can not locate the document you read that you believe suggests a payout. (Believe me, I'd be happy to take the time to read whatever you provided, so you could be more assured, if you had access to it.)

That said, to my knowledge there is no payout on or around 4/2016. BUT -- What happens at the end of April (thanks to this new October law) is that when a person of at least full retirement age seeks to file for and suspend his own benefits, such suspension will also apply to his SS dependents' benefits....Previously, his dependents can claim any benefit that they are already eligible for even if he did suspend his own, and they could continue to collect theirs... Thus, while he CAN still suspend his own, it will also apply to his dependents' benefits. This was NOT the case up until now, and it is effective come May 1. Thus, the only likely reason, going forward, we would suspend our own benefits once eligible to do so (once we have reached our FRA) is if we go back to work (or otherwise can afford to) and want to earn delayed retirement credits, to allow our own benefit to grow 8% a year til age 70, when we would reactivate them). It will no longer be so our dependents can collect while we suspend/delay.

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you on this.