Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Have been scammed with the scammer securing my wifes ss

Customer Question

have been scammed with the scammer securing my wifes ss number. How can i freeze the number so no one can else use it ?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

You generally can not "freeze" a SS number. It is extremely rare, and for reasons other than fraudulent use, that the SSA will issue a new number (often for domestic abuse cases where the person needs to not be found by the abuser for life and death reasons).

The avenue to use is to, as you may have started, contact all 3 major credit bureaus and ask for a fraud alert. They can last for several years. Anytime someone tries to borrow money under your wife's SS number/name, it won't go through until the lender takes extra measures, such as calling your wife and speaking to her about whether this was in fact her, seeking a loan.

I did this very thing a few years ago, when identity theft occurred with regard to my name and SS, and a loan taken out (unbeknownst to me until my credit plummeted when the loan was not paid according to its terms (not paid at all).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.Have to leave this location so please call meb at this number(###) ###-####

Proper reporting to those that control her credit, is the avenue to take. Generally, you will have to file a police report, for technicalities sake, although they won't be able to solve it - but it will be part of the protection for your wife with regard to any fraud already taken against her.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional