lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I ama widow receiving my husband's Social Security

Customer Question

I ama widow receiving my husband's Social Security Disability benefit since he passed away when we were both age 60 from Leukemia. I am now 65 and receive his benefit, and would receive much less if I received my benefit. Iam told I could receive some of my benefit in addition to what I currently receive and would like to know if that is true.
Also, I still work some, and will turn 66 in Oct. 2016. So if I make over the $15,000 something you are allowed without penalty by SS in 2016 will I not be penalized since I turn 66 in 2016?
Thank you for your help!
Karen Maxfield ***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Several issues...
1.
If you are eligible for surviving spouse benefits based on your spouse earnings AND for social security benefits based on your own record - you may only receive ONE benefits - but the largest you are eligible.
If your own benefits are higher - you will receive YOUR benefits, but if surviving benefits are higher - you will receive your own benefits first PLUS additional amount for the difference.

2.

Reduction of social; security benefit sis based on whether you reach your full retirement age (FRA) or not. Your full retirement age is 66.

You can work and receive your social security benefits at the same time.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, SSA will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2015, that limit is $15,720.In the year you reach full retirement age, SSA will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2015, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.
3.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

The earnings limits amounts for 2016 are not yet available.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.