Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

If in my first year of retirement 2014, I had 5 months

Customer Question

If in my first year of retirement 2014, I had 5 months August to December 2014,where I earned less than $1,000 should I not be paid my full social security retirement amount those 5 months. Prior to that I had a full time job and earned $50,000 in the first 6 months of the year.more than the annual allowance for Social Security wages. then I was laid off . So from July to December 2014, I did not earn over $1,000 per mo.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Not necessarily. It does not work that way. Whether you are paid full amount for the remaining months in the year would depend on whether or not you had reached the annual limit. For 2014, the annual limit was $15,480.00. For 2015, the annual limit is $15,720.00. For more information, click on the link below:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10003.pdf