LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Am I allowed to collect unemployment in the state of

Customer Question

Am I allowed to collect unemployment in the state of Illinois if I collect social security? I am able to work and will be looking for employment in order to supplement my social security income. I am 66 years old.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because unemployment benefits are not counted by Social Security as active income---income you earn from actual work you do---but as passive income, because is payment for work you have done in the past, you may collect both your unemployment benefit as well as social security at the same time. Your social security early retirement benefit is not affected by your collection of unemployment benefits.

However, collecting social security will result in a reduction of your Illinois unemployment benefits. Let me explain.

The social security offset reduces an individual’s weekly unemployment benefits by an amount equal to 50 percent of his/her social security retirement benefits attributable to the week and is required pursuant to Section 611A(2) of the UI Act, 820 ILCS 405/611A(2). See Attachment C, Section 611 of the UI Act. Half of your social security benefit will be offset against your unemployment entitlement---based on a weekly basis. So if you receive social security of $1200 per month, IL will deduct about $279.00 per week from your unemployment check.

Here is a link to a discussion of the law: http://www.ides.illinois.gov/SSRPTF_documents/ReportFinal.pdf

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug