PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

MY AGE IS AGE 70 YEARS OLD. I ONLY WORKED 32 QUARTERS, CAN I

Customer Question

MY AGE IS AGE 70 YEARS OLD. I ONLY WORKED 32 QUARTERS, CAN I STILL RECEIVE PARTIAL SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The general rule is that you have to earn 40 quarters of servie to be eligible. There might be things that add to the traditional total.

Did you work for yourself, as self-employed? there are special rules for this income.

Military service also counts, and is often ignored when doing the math.

Widows or widowers need less quarters, and/or might be eligible under their spouse's history.

Disability qualifies you for benefits with less quarters.

Some divorced citizens qualify for spousal benefits.

If any of these might apply to you, you could be eligible. Otherwise, the 40 quarter rule is rigid, and there is no partial benefit.

If none of the exceptions work for you, all you might need to do is work part time for eight more quarters. the amount of wages you need to earn to create a quarter is $1,220.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. I hope this covers your question, and gives you some options to consider. If this does answer your question, positive feedback rating my assistance will be appreciated. I'm PDtax.