lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

MY NAME W FORD AND FOUR YEARS OLD AND AM STILL WORKING.I

Customer Question

MY NAME DONALD W FORD AND I AM SEVENTY FOUR YEARS OLD AND AM STILL WORKING.I HAVE PAID IN SOCIAL SECURITY TAXES FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS FOR A TOTAL OF OVER FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND HAVE HAD HARDLY ANY INCREASE IN MY SSI. CHECK. PLEASE TELL ME WHY BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW IN THE SAME SITUATION HAVE BEEN GETTING RAISES RIGHT ALONG.MY SSI#414628267 PLEASE ASWER .THANK YOU
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.
The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings. They adjust or “index” your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.
Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most. And after that- they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or “primary insurance amount.”
This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age — 65 or older, depending on your date of birth.

So if your current earning is lower - and these years are NOT included into g the 35 years in which you earned the most - your social security benefits are NOT recalculated - and may be only affected by COLA adjustment.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.