LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If I marry someone and decide to move to another country

Customer Question

If I marry someone and decide to move to another country will I loose my widows benefits? I am 68 years old.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because you are over 60 years old, you are fully able to remarry and your survivor benefit will not be effect at all---it will continue to be paid to you.

So long as you don't move to a country like Cuba or N. Korea, you will have no [problem getting your benefit while you are living overseas. Just keep in mind that your Medicare benefits will not provide any coverage for any medical care or prescriptions outside the US.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug