Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

How to apply benefit?

Customer Question

how to apply for death benefit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online. Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies. In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report. If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. See link to walk you through the process and let you know what documents you need to apply: https://socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/howtoapply.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Any chance for a positive rating?