Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

How much will I get? I make $34,000 a year from VA money. I

Customer Question

How much will I get? I make $34,000 a year from VA money. I am 61 and a half years old and I want to start at 62 years old!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, as you may not know, what you get will depend on your SS primary insurance amount - this figure is calculated based on your top 35 years of earnings where you paid SS tax. As such, given the complexity of figuring it out - you look to the SSA for that. They have provided us with online access to each of our own annual SS earnings statements, so that if you have not received recently or have lost it, you can download it again. You can go to ssa.gov/myaccount and download that document. This is the same document that they used to mail to everyone a few months before their birthdays, but have largely stopped doing so for budgetary reason. On that document, you will also see what your amount will be if you decided to reduce it by collecting it early, at 62, vs. 66+ vs. 70. The longer you wait to collect, up to 70, the bigger your checks will be.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!