Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

How much can i earn while i draw ss

Customer Question

How much can i earn while i draw ss
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides disability and retirement benefits to individuals who qualify to receive them based on their work records. While the SSA does not penalize people who continue to work while receiving retirement benefits, it does reduce a person's payments if he earns above a certain amount of income before reaching his full retirement age. The SSA continues to pay someone receiving disability payments during his trial work period and extended period of eligibility until he achieves and maintains a minimum amount of earned income.

if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, Social Security will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, Social Security will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

• Social Security will use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, Social Security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2015 that limit is $15,720.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, Social Security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but Social Security will only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2015, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $41,880.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Any chance for a positive rating?