LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Paid taxes from my income from age 18 to 71. We did not get

Customer Question

Paid taxes from my income from age 18 to 71. We did not get an increase this year and our rent goes up every year. I feel this is our money and not the governments.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening Barbara,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I agree with you, there should be a cost of living increase every year. However, the federal law does not mandate an increase unless certain criteria are met---and they were not met this past year.

While I'm sure it is not comforting to understand how it is that no COLA was granted for 2016, nevertheless here is a good primer in that reason and how the government determines whether there will be a COLA.

http://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2015/05/31/why-your-social-security-increase-for-2016-will-pr.aspx

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug