LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I turned 60 in august 2015, my husband passed in may 2013,

Customer Question

i turned 60 in august 2015, my husband passed in may 2013, at 61. should i consider getting survivors benefits or should I wait until full retirement age or until i am 70
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As for your survivor benefit, it will be about 27% less if you take it now as opposed to when you reach 66, however waiting past 66 will not make a difference in how much you will receive.

If you don't need the money right now, you would be better off waiting----waiting to 66 if possible, but even if you take it early, closer to 66 is better for you.

If you are working now, keep in mind that if you take a survivor benefit now and earn more than about $15,000 a year, you will be penalized and you will have to repay social security some of the money they will be paying you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug