PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I'm 62 y.o. and still work full time. My husband died

Customer Question

I'm 62 y.o. and still work full time. My husband died 11.19.15 at age of 68. He was drawing SS. Can I draw his SS while still working?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. Sorry for your loss.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

At your age, you are eligible for survivor benefits based on his work history. Your benefit is based on your age, and will be 80% or so of his benefit.

Because you are working, you may lose some of the benefit to repayment. From SSA.gov:

How much can I earn and still get benefits?

If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, your earnings may reduce your benefit amount. (If you were born between 1/2/1943 and 1/1/1955, your full retirement age is 66 years.)

• If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2015, that limit is $15,720.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2015, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html is the link to that SSA material.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. positive feedback rating my assistance closes out your question after I have answered your question. I'm PDtax.