LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I'm looking legal name change document in Iowa. They Are not

Customer Question

I'm looking for my legal name change document in Iowa. They Are not able to locat it. SS says they changed my name in Jan 1970. Would SS have any other information that might help locat this document ?
I have called all counties that I think it might be in,no luck they just say it isn't there
Linda
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Linda,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Social security would not have kept any document that you provided showing your legal name change. They would have returned an original document or would have destroyed the document if you did not ask for it back, after they gleaned the information they needed to support your name change.

In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Certainly it shouldn't be too difficult to determine where you had your name changed. Was it changed based on a marriage, based on a divorce or based on you filing a separate petition with the court seeking a name change?

2. What city were you living in at the time you got married, divorced or petitioned the court for a name change?

Doug