annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

My sister in laws husband passed away on December 11,15. s

Customer Question

My sister in laws husband passed away on
December 11,15. His social security check will be deposited on December 15,15. Can my sister in law use her husbands December 2015 social security benefit check to pay her December rent that is due on December 20,15?
Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years, and I'll be happy to help you.

First I'm sorry for yours and your sister in law's loss

If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received for the month of death or any later months. For example, if the person died in July, you must return the benefit paid in August. If benefits were paid by direct deposit, contact the bank or other financial institution. Request that any funds received for the month of death or later be returned to Social Security. If the benefits were paid by check, do not cash any checks received for the month in which the person dies or later. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.

Your sister in law may want to contact her local SS office and see if there are benefits she may apply for . Please see below:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10008.pdf

If this answer has helped you, please rate positive (by clicking on the stars)

It is only through positive feedback that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanwser.

I see that you read my answer but didn't rate it. Do you have any additional questions? Is there something else I can help you with?

Please remember that it is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you again for choosing justanswer.