Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 64 years old and earn too much to claim on my social

Customer Question

I am 64 years old and earn too much to claim on my social security without a reduction in benefits. My husband is 73 and has been drawing on his benefit since he was 62. I will turn 66 on Sept. 14, 2017. I just read about Congress eliminating the technique known as "Claim benefits now, claim more later".
I assume that is not wise for me to claim now due to the reduced benefit I will receive now until I reach 66. My active earnings vary substantially but seem to be a minimum of $50,000.
So, is the best strategy for me to wait until I am 66 and claim against my husbands social security, which is much less than mine, and delay mine until age 70?
Thanks for any input you can provide.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good morning!

With regard to your post:

"I am 64 years old and earn too much to claim on my social security without a reduction in benefits. --- Excellent, that is usually the best scenario, as your benefit continues to grow.

"My husband is 73 and has been drawing on his benefit since he was 62. ------ OK, so he opted for smaller permanent benefits.

"I will turn 66 on Sept. 14, 2017. I just read about Congress eliminating the technique known as "Claim benefits now, claim more later". ------- Yes. However, since you turned 62 before end of 2015, this should still be available to you. THis is where you ONLY file for spousal benefit, not your own and it was ONLY available for people once they turned their FRA (full retirement age).

"I assume that is not wise for me to claim now due to the reduced benefit I will receive now until I reach 66. -------- Correct. Plus, that was never, ever possible for a 64 year old - when you claimed before FRA, you ALWAYS implicated your own, even if you could collect a spousal "boost" as well.

"My active earnings vary substantially but seem to be a minimum of $50,000. ------ Terrific!

"So, is the best strategy for me to wait until I am 66 and claim against my husbands social security, which is much less than mine, and delay mine until age 70? -------- Obviously, this would depend on survival needs and / or other goals. But if it were me, barring unnoted facts, I'd wait til FRA, file a "restricted" application for ONLY spousal benefits (you will get 1/2 of his primary insurance amount, which will be more than 1/2 of what he is collecting now). I'd keep collecting that while working UNLIMITED amount, til age 70. Then I'd file for my OWN benefits, which would then, at 70, be 32% higher than if you took at 66.

Thanks for any input you can provide. " - My pleasure!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!